Monday, July 18, 2011

A job? Thanks, I guess.

I got a job this week. It's not my dream job. The dream job e-mailed me thus: "You're a nice person and everything, but we're looking for NOT you. In fact we shall promptly forget you once we hit 'send.' Sincerely, your dream job." Then I got a cheerful call from the undream job thus: "You're exactly what we're looking for!" And then I said, "Oh. Thanks," like an angsty teenager getting K-mart shoes for Christmas instead of the 60-dollar All Stars . It's not been my finest hour where gratitude is concerned. So the following is a lesson to self. Continue if you wish.

The fact is, self, the last house we lived in had a grand total of two pieces of furniture, three appliances, and one room. Tidying the house meant making the bed. Now I have THREE rooms, which contain everything I could ever, ever need in life. This includes but is not limited to a cupcake tower. I OWN a disassembled CUPCAKE TOWER. And a pasta maker. It's like an Italian wedding around here.

Plus I have new running shoes. They nearly killed me today by carrying me further and further from home until I firmly told them to stop, but they've promised to help rid me of my protruding little gut.

Furthermore, there's this guy. He just came in to give me a back massage, and last night he played Phase 10 with me despite HATING the Phase 10 above all else in this world. Also, he lets me lick his nose whenever I feel like it. And go to Africa just for fun (the last two might be wishful thinking... but the first two are boy-scout promise TRUE).

There's a friendly woman at the Smith's down the road whose nails are always perfect and is always smiling, and our postman never fails to wish a passerby "Good morning." I wonder if they have their dream jobs? If not, they've probably figured out for themselves this good advice Joseph B. Wirthlin once gave me: “The abundant life is within our reach if only we will drink deeply of living water, fill our hearts with love, and create of our lives a masterpiece.”

Self, be grateful. Your life is your dream job.
Yours truly,
Valerie

5 comments:

  1. Val, I love your blog :) I am a devoted stalker...I mean follower....ANYWAY.
    I especially appreciated this post, because I've been feeling the same way lately. Thanks for passing along the lesson, my self needed to hear it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the advice to yourself; sometimes it takes giving yourself a pep talk to realize how great things are! Sure it's not the dream job you wanted but at least you have a job and an amazing husband who loves you! You are truly blessed!
    P.S. When are we going to get together? I miss you and would love to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. truestory
    so glad you are just a call away<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i love how this story flipped around ;) congrats val!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the job??? I love reading "happiness!... and whatever else I feel like"!

    ReplyDelete